Almost There - Reflections from 1 Month Before the Teacher Training Completes


I am just 1 month away from completing my yoga teacher training and sitting here, surrounded by
books trying to make flashcards (yes there is a lot of anatomy, pose sequencing and rules that need
to be followed to ensure safety of our students, basically I need to study), I feel the responsibility I
have, towards others but more so towards myself.
Entering this teacher training, we usually have a certain set of things we want to achieve, to know how
to teach others everything about poses, to become super flexible and be able to do the craziest of
poses and look the coolest Yoga teacher around… But what really happens is much more than that
entry level brain could have imagined.
You do learn the anatomy, the biology of being in poses, you learn the poses themselves, all the work
that goes into deciding what pose come before or after and much more of the technical details. But
what also learn is the philosophy, the roots of where it all began and what it truly stands for.
You get to choose what you take what you lose. There is never enough and never less. What you
seek is what you get. This training is like a trailer, it shows you glimpses of all that can be, what you
pick shapes your reality.
It’s the power to act, yet, surrender. To stand so tall and strong yet, stay mellow and calm through the
storm.
When I stepped into this journey, I knew I loved the concept of energy body, and this training was to
give me a license to teach yoga in movement and thought. But now, a month away from the grand
finale of this training, I am sitting in wonder of how much I have learnt and yet how little I know
(because now I know even more about the expanse of almost essential life information which has
somehow managed to get faded into the background of our lives). I feel the need to study so much
more, like a little snail I move with patience, exploring and churning the soil while learning all about
the seemingly never ending forest, of which i am but a minuscule particle.
Amidst all the technical learning and philosophical thoughts, one thing that has inspired me is the
understanding that everything we seek to create, discover or have created and are boasting about as
a human race, is actually just an attempt to replicate a part of the magic and technological expertise
that is taking place inside us every single fraction of a second. The realization that there is a reason
it’s called ‘Artificial Intelligence (AI)’ because it is still an attempt to recreate the magnanimity and
power of the ‘real intelligence’, yet how often do we feel that we are nothing compared to this
super cool, all knowing AI?
The power lies within us, just that we don’t trust it enough any more. And for sure we’ve kinda
forgotten to use it (out of practice you see). I don’t deny it’s damn hard to sit still and meditate day
after day and even get a glimpse of what our technology has come to achieve, but then, why are we
forgetting the hours, days and years of work that it took, for this technology to come to be. Big
changes take bigger time and energy investments, and it all does seem a waste of time to many
people when the journey is in its initial phases.
I love that the physical practice of yoga helps us get glimpses of that feeling, that control which is
engineered inside out. It’s a tip of the tongue taste to our own power over and beyond what our mind
tells us. When the brain takes over our system to cause stress (sometimes even throwing things out
of order - stress disorder), when it removes us and places us in a space of dis-ease, it is then that we
turn to yoga and somehow things begin to seem not that bad and out of control. To me this is magical!
I know, it’s still a month to go and a lot more to learn and absorb from all the information we have
received and will receive before the finale. But as of today, sitting here, staring at trees and
surrounded by books and my yoga mat beside me... I feel Yoga is a journey, a journey that reminds
me that the power lies within. And it’s not a one time achievement, it’s a practice for life.
It’s daunting to think about a practice for life, the thought of having to do something for such a long period of time, in order to enjoy the results seems a hell lot, I don’t deny. But then, it’s got everything to do with your breath, your body, your mind and your soul. Aren’t those gonna be sticking around for the whole of your life too…?
It’s all in the phrase - What you seek, is what you get. It’s never too late to start, or pick yourself up after falling apart. YogaItGirl.














#PS - See you in a month, maybe with some new perspectives or maybe some more reflections and deeper inner work ;)



This is my 3rd blog post about my progress in the 200hr Yoga Teacher Trainee @YogaWorks (Mission Viejo, Orange County) guided by the awesome Jessica Seabern & Amee Patel. The 1st post on this journey - The Beginning of a New Chapter http://thoughtswordsandreality.blogspot.com/2019/01/stepping-into-new-shoes.html The 2nd blog post on this journey - The Cup is 1/3 Full - My Yoga Teacher Training Journey http://thoughtswordsandreality.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-cup-is-13-full-my-yoga-teacher.html

Comments