Crossroads of Life, Quest of Perfection & A Story in between


One summer day, I was cycling down to my school early in the morning for summer vacation game practices. While crossing the bridge I saw a little girl standing by the edge, I looked at her, waved my hand for a ‘hi’ and smiled, as I rode away in my cycle to school.

The next day I saw the same girl standing at the same place. This time, she had a flower in her hand, I smiled and she gestured me to stop. I stopped next to her and she handed me the flower. I felt loved and surprised I said, ‘Yeh mere liya hai?’ (wow is this for me?) Thank you.

She smiled and replied ‘Didi kal main na yahaan neeche nadi mein kudne ke liye khadi thi, mujhe laga kisiko koi farak he nahi padta main huin ya nahi. Koi mujhe dekhta bhi nhi hai. Par aapne mujhe aisse ‘hi’ karke muskuraya toh mujhe bahut achcha laga aur laga ki nahi kudna chahiye.’ (yesterday when you saw me, I was standing here to jump down into the river. I thought no one loved me and my existence doesn’t matter, people see through me. But then when you saw me, waved and smiled I felt something very nice and decided against jumping into the river to give my life.)

I was speechless for a few seconds and couldn’t even digest what had happened. Regaining myself a bit, I could only give her a hug and told her to pass on the goodness of this smile to whoever she can. Hugged her, said thank you and she ran away. I rode off to school.

I know in retrospect, I should have taken her details and I really wish I would have so I could know how she is doing and if all is fine. But then, I excuse myself considering that I was a sixth grader back then and hence, maybe not old enough to think through.

I hope and pray till date that she be safe and well wherever she be.

When I came home I mentioned the story to my Granpa (Baji as we called him) and he was amused and impressed by his little granddaughter’s deed aka experience of the day.

My Baji (Granpa) in 2015

I always told Baji – After I am gone, if a single person would think of me and smile and be glad that we had the interaction that we did, the purpose of my life is well served. Every such person who recounts me for the smile and smiles thinking of it will make my life worth its being. He would laugh and say ‘Sometimes, you talk way beyond your age. My little one is growing up so soon’. I still remember his smiling face as this sentence concluded..


Yes, these words give me strength till date, long after my listener of daily stories, my Granpa is gone to another world of being. It’s thoughts like these, that make my life feel perfect. Since that day, I smile through most things in life, the good, the bad and the ugly. It somehow just gives me strength. Strength somewhere deep inside and that gets me going. (Will try to teach my little daughter to do the same, hopefully).

If perfection is a perspective, this is the one I would like to have.


Happy Birthday Baji (Granpa). Miss you. So glad and blessed we had you to add the sparkle and magic in our little lives. 

Comments