Daughter dearest, what would you be...?



Right now, I am looking at my little daughter watching Barney,
Learning and growing oh so fast.
I can’t help but think to myself, well, what would I want her to grow up into?
How can I best contribute into the making of that person?
Things I would want to talk to her about, the good as well as the not so good.
These days, she copies our actions and words,
And makes us revisit ourselves a little more. 
I want her to know that, she is a wonderful, beautiful, strong, kind hearted and a respectful person. 
I want her to imagine everything she could and would be, 
Because she can be whoever she wishes to become. 
Nothing, and no one but her, has the power to stop her from living her dreams.
​But, that also would give her the responsibility of her actions, both towards herself as well as others. 
She should know the impact of her actions and the possible ways it can impact several others. 
To keep the kindness in her heart but not let anyone take advantage of her kindness. Because kindness is strength, not weakness. 
I wish for her to be fierce in defending what she believes in, yet accommodating and open to giving other's perspective a chance.
And to have the strength to accept and change her stance, if it is for the better.
She should know the art of saying both Yes as well as No with equal ease.
She should be able to stand at the crossroads of life and make the right as well as the wrong decisions.
And learn her lessons from both.
I want her to be thinking yet feeling, socially engaging yet content in her little world.
To be able to mold as need be yet not giving up on her core values and personality.
Well, that almost sounds too perfect to be true.
And I want her to know that perfection is but an illusion.
And perfect for one might be ridiculous for another. 
So, I wish for her to be able to think and fend for herself and fend that girl well,
Because my heart lives within her.
I want her to know that sometimes I will have more insight and be able to guide her.
But sometimes and especially with time, times will change and then,
She might have more insight into the world than me. 
But, I want her to know that I would always be with her, by her side, cheering her in heart. 
I want her to know that the physical is just another dimension, so, I'd always be around.
And so would she.
I hope and wish and pray that she can think what she does and feel what she should feel,
For life is going to go on either ways. 
So, why not make the best of it, when you are in it.


Comments

  1. What a beautiful poem for your daughter. Going by what is written here, she is lucky to have you. Even if she doesn't become 'perfect', I am sure she will be a good human being. And, as you said "why not make the best of it". I am sure she will learn this quite early on. My blessings and prayers for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Arunima. I hope so too, that she does the best for herself and her world. Thanks for your blessings and prayers.
    And I surely felt a little more calm after reading your comment.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.